A significant proportion of workers find their jobs to be very or extremely stressful, and for one in four people, their job is their primary source of stress. Additionally, three-quarters of employees believe that workers experience more on-the-job stress now than in previous generations.
It’s time to promote wellbeing in the workplace! Mental wellness helps improve overall productivity and increases job satisfaction. Stress levels in the workplace are closely linked with physical health too.
In our article, we give you five actionable ways to promote corporate wellness. As an employer, you can enjoy improved energy levels, better concentration, and greater motivation with your staff. This all helps you achieve your goals more effectively.
Learn more about how to promote wellbeing in the workplace today. Read on to find out more.
What Is Wellbeing?
The concept of wellbeing revolves around experiencing a sense of positivity and satisfaction. This is within oneself and in relation to the outside world.
A crucial factor in achieving wellbeing is possessing the ability to adapt and thrive in the face of the typical challenges and strains of life. Wellbeing is based on numerous areas including physical, emotional, and social factors that contribute to an individual’s overall quality of life.
Achieving and maintaining a high level of wellbeing requires continuous effort. It’s based on cultivating healthy habits.
Wellbeing is more than just being happy. It means feeling content with life, having a purpose, and having control over what happens in your life. All of this is important for you to have a good life. So it’s important to take care of yourself so you can be healthy mentally, physically, and emotionally.
There are many things that can influence your wellbeing which can include:
- Sense of belonging
- Career satisfaction
- Levels of self-care
- Sense of purpose
Why Should You Promote Wellbeing?
The benefits of workplace wellbeing are numerous and promoting it in the workplace is an important part of creating a healthy work environment. Not only will it help improve productivity and employee morale, but it can also reduce stress levels and boost company loyalty.
Studies have shown that employers who prioritize the well-being of their employees benefit from improved job satisfaction, reduced absenteeism, and increased productivity.
Additionally, by taking measures to ensure the physical, mental, and emotional wellbeing of their staff, employers are helping to create a culture of trust and support that is essential for any successful business.
About the Five Ways to Wellbeing
There are simple actions developed by research from the New Economics Foundation in 2008. The study found things that people can practice daily to maintain or improve their mental health and wellbeing.
These evidence-based actions were derived from research across the world that identified proven ways to help people feel good and function better. Some of the benefits include:
- Just a small increase in wellbeing has been shown to lead to a more fulfilled life
- Each of the Five Ways to Wellbeing is proven to have a positive impact on your life
- It’s easy to incorporate the Five Ways to Wellbeing into everyday life
- To get the most out of the Five Ways to Wellbeing aims to combine them on a daily basis
The 5 Steps to Promote Wellbeing in the Workplace
By doing these things, you can begin to help staff feel more optimistic and energized about life. Here are five steps you can try to promote wellbeing in the workplace:
Socializing is an important aspect of human life. It provides us with a sense of belongingness and acceptance. Our social preferences vary according to our personality traits. Some prefer intimate conversations with only one person, while others enjoy being in larger groups.
In today’s world, you can even connect with people virtually through social media platforms, instant messaging, or email.
Socializing can enhance our overall well-being by boosting our self-esteem, reducing stress levels, and improving our cognitive function. It’s important to prioritize social networks and maintain healthy relationships with the people around us.
Here are some ways you could encourage connection in the workplace:
- Have a social space at work where people can sit and chat
- Encourage staff to integrate with new employees by sending an email with a mini bio about them
- Staff from different tiers should have casual conversations with staff in different tiers
- Start up a lift share scheme
- Organize social events for staff and their families to attend outside of work
2. Be Active
Staying physically active can be really good for your employee’s mental health. They don’t have to run a marathon or lift weights every day. There are lots of simple things you can do to increase your staff’s activity levels.
Research has proven that being active can improve the quality of sleep, make people feel happier, and reduce symptoms of stress, anxiety, and overwhelming thoughts. So, if you want to boost both mental and physical health, find ways to encourage your staff to be active.
Here are some ways you could encourage staff be more active in the workplace:
- Understand the importance of a short stretch or walking regularly
- Allow for a flexible start time to allow staff to walk to work instead of driving
- Organize activity days for staff or charity-sponsored walks
- Provide discounted access to a local gym
- If you have the space, bring a yoga or fitness instructor for an after-work class
3. Learn New Skills
Learning happens all the time and it can make people feel good about themselves.
It’s not just about gaining new skills, but it also benefits mental health. By setting goals, employees will feel more productive and in control.
Here are some great ways to incorporate learning into work-life.
- Allow dedicated time each month for personal study and learning
- Run workshops for your staff
- Set up a book club or creative writing sessions for colleagues to join
- Host weekend events for families to learn a skill together
4. Giving to Others
Numerous studies have proven that taking part in social and community activities can have positive effects on our well-being.
People who engage in helpful behavior often report feeling happier. Even small gestures like a smile or a kind word can make a difference. Taking on more significant acts of kindness can enhance mental health and lead to the development of new social connections.
In fact, giving and kindness have been shown to have a profound impact on mental well-being. Such acts can be as simple as being kind to others or as substantial as volunteering in your local community.
Here are some ways you could encourage the act of giving in the workplace:
- Have a local ‘charity of the year’ who you raise money for
- Host a cake sale during lunch break
- Set up a notice board when unwanted items can be given away to another member of staff
- Hold a volunteer day where staff can help in the local community
5. Pay Attention to the Present Moment (Mindfulness)
By becoming more aware of the present moment, you can improve your staff’s mental wellbeing.
This means paying attention to their thoughts and feelings. It can also be things like making the workplace more comfortable.
Practicing mindfulness helps people to appreciate life more fully and gain a deeper understanding of themselves. It can even transform the way people cope with challenges and view the world.
Here are some ways you could encourage the act of mindfulness in the workplace:
- Brighten up the workplace with a new lick of paint or plants
- Once a month, dedicate an hour to ‘clear the clutter’
- Have a ‘thought of the day’ posted up on the works notice board
How to Get Started
You might be eager to get going, but not sure where to start. Here is a quick guide to get going.
- Step 1: Assess your company’s needs
- Step 2: Set goals and objectives
- Step 3: Develop a plan
- Step 4: Implement your wellness program
- Step 5: Engage employees in the process
- Step 6: Provide ongoing support and education
- Step 7: Track and celebrate successes
- Step 8: Measure and evaluate program effectiveness
- Step 9: Extend wellness beyond the workplace
How to promote wellbeing in the workplace? It is a key part of creating an enjoyable and productive environment for your employees. By implementing activities such as encouraging physical activity, learning new skills, giving to others, and practicing mindfulness you can help to create a positive atmosphere that helps people feel more connected with one another and their work.
If you need any further advice or guidance on how best to promote wellbeing then visit our website. You’ll find lots of resources to get you started. Alternatively, arrange a demo with one of our team who would be happy to discuss ways we could help you achieve better mental health outcomes amongst your staff.